Who doesn’t love a sandwich? To quote my all-time favorite comedian, Mitch Hedberg, “I love sandwiches, man. Who doesn’t? They’re so easy to eat.” That’s my feeling exactly when I’m walking around Walt Disney World’s theme parks and resorts all day. I don’t want a huge meal that’s going to take me a while to eat. I want to park myself down on a bench somewhere or in a restaurant and spend ten minutes enjoying one of Walt Disney World’s sensational sandwiches. Let’s take a look at the Top 5 Sandwiches in Walt Disney World.
5. Aloha Pork Sandwich from Captain Cook’s
– I must admit, Captain Cook’s at Disney’s Polynesian Resort was on my naughty list for a while. Not too long after adding a Buffalo Chicken & Waffle Sandwich to their menu (which I absolutely loved), it was abruptly taken off the menu one day. It hasn’t come back. So I was reluctant to head back to the restaurant but gave in on my last trip, and man am I happy that I did! The Aloha Pork Sandwich is loaded with pulled pork, cheddar cheese, Asian coleslaw, cucumbers, and tomatoes in between a pineapple-coconut bun. Sounds a little out there, right? I promise you, it’s pretty incredible! Everything on the sandwich blends together into a mini-luau experience. I highly recommend it!
4. Croque Monsieur from Be Our Guest
– This one is available only for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants in all of Walt Disney World. I have never been to France, Canada, or anywhere else where French is spoken, and I didn’t take French in high school or college, so this isn’t a sandwich I can pronounce very well. That’s why I’m so happy I can place my order for it ahead of time on my phone before I even set foot in the Beast’s castle. This is kind of a grilled cheese for adults with carved ham, gruyere cheese, and Bechamel, served with pommes frites (or french fries for simple guys like myself). Next time you’re planning a trip to WDW make sure to get a reservation for lunch here and order this sandwich, you won’t be disappointed!
3. Holiday Turkey Sandwich from Earl of Sandwich
– My absolute favorite meal of the year is Thanksgiving dinner. I love everything about it. The turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and gravy are my favorite things on the plate. That’s why I LOVE this sandwich. All of those ingredients are combined together along with a little mayonnaise to make an epic sandwich that you can’t find anywhere else in Walt Disney World. Now, if you’re one of those people who can’t stand it when your different foods touch on your plate, this one might not be for you! But for someone like me who literally tries to get turkey, cranberry, and gravy together in each and every bite on the fourth Thursday of November, it couldn’t be more perfect!
2. “Chicago-style” Italian Beef Sub from the Contempo Cafe
– I’m not sure what makes this sandwich a “Chicago-style” sandwich. Being from Philadelphia I know that just about any time a restaurant throws mushrooms, peppers, and onions on anything they call it “Philly-style,” so maybe there’s a similar thing happening in the Windy City. I do know that this sandwich is delicious and it’s at one of my favorite counter service locations anywhere in Walt Disney World. The sandwich is made up of a toasted baguette loaded with shaved Italian beef, mozzarella, and seasonal jus. Add some WDW fries on the side and you’re really talking! I don’t know why I originally chose this sandwich over the burger or the lobster roll, two of my other faves at this location, but I’m really glad I did! I love to sit at a corner table at this place and enjoy the monorail whizzing by overhead.
1.Sweet & Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich from Sleepy Hollow Refreshments
– I was BUMMED when the Magic Kingdom’s Sleepy Hollow Refreshments took this one off their menu several months ago. It’s the perfect blend of spicy buffalo chicken tenders, coleslaw, and arugula on a freshly made, still warm waffle. I used to love to sit outside at Sleepy Hollow and watch all of the guests pouring into Liberty Square while I sat back and enjoyed my favorite sandwich in all of Walt Disney World. Well, guess what, it’s back! This is the perfect, one-handed sandwich to grab when walking around the parks for a dad like me. I have the sandwich in one hand, a kid’s hand in the other, and a smile on my face (for like the thirty seconds it takes me to devour the chickeny-waffley goodness!)
Over the last decade or so, Walt Disney World’s food choices have been increased significantly. Gone are the days of only french fries and chicken nuggets. You can honestly get pretty much whatever you’d like while on your Walt Disney World vacation, and if you choose to eat a sandwich or two, I hope you give one of these a chance on your next trip to the Most Magical Place on Earth!